A TIMELINE

 

1799

New York legislature passes a bill to establish the Columbia Turnpike Corporation, which created a usable road from the City of Hudson to the Massachusetts border. The East Gate toll house is built along with the Middle Gate and West Gate toll houses.

 

1907

After 108 years of operation, the East Gate toll house is closed. Columbia County bought the rights from the turnpike corporation.

Two generations of the Decker family occupy the house.  

 

1970

The toll house is acquired by Eldena Jenssen. The house is inhabited off and on for the next twenty years.

 

2015

The East Gate Toll House is added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.  

 

2016

Friends of East Gate is formed and acquires the Toll House from the Jenssen family, thanks to a generous donation from Edgar Masters of Copake Falls. 

 

2017

Friends of East Gate launches its mission to save the Toll House.